Short introduction


Hi or Haribol (as we, Hare Krishna devotees, like to greet each other)!

My Hare Krishna name is Stoka Krishna das. I received this name when I was initiated into the Gaudiya Vaishnava spiritual tradition by my spiritual master in 1992. I joined the International Society for Krishna Consciousness in 1990 in the Soviet Union, where this movement was just coming out of hiding.

During my years in the movement I listened to a lot of Vaishnava (Hare Krishna) music performed and recorded by various devotees around the world prior to my joining. I was very fond of many of those albums, which I had on tape. Unfortunately, with the passage of years, most of those tapes were either lost or perished. I miss them more and more as time goes by, and that is why I am creating this blog. It is mostly for myself and my friends who also like this kind of music. I am planning to add links to any old Hare Krishna music that I come across, so that is it easy to find and access whenever we want to listen to something.

There are many types of Hare Krishna music, ranging from traditional Indian-style kirtans (congregational chanting sessions) and bhajans (traditional devotional songs) to disco, reggae, rock, folk and electronic. I will try to post as many different styles as I can.

If you own the copyright to any of the music and don't want your music to be featured here, please let me know and I will remove it from my blog.

Hare Krishna!

Comments

  1. Any Harikesh Swami somewhere out in the ether? I recall that he had a pretty rocky one that they used to play in the old candle factory near the Danks St Temple back in the late 70s (where decorative candles and health food bars were manufactured). Bhagavan Das also had a more mellow, medium-paced album with flutes and synths etc. 'Jagadguru' Chris Butler ( a Prabhupada disciple who broke away from ISKCON a long time ago) also put out a good one with some searing Santana-esque guitar solos, but that one may not be considered appropriate for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have tons of Harikesha Swami's stuff and I will post it in the next post. I also have Bhagavan's music, which I will also post somehow. I just need to figure out where to upload it to. Regarding Siddhasvarupananda's music, I only have one CD of his and it is recent. I have not heard his old stuff. Do you have any to share?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

J.O.B. Orchestra - Hare Krishna Disco Funk

A mystery tape recording from Ramai Swami's band's concert